Auricula Favourites

Has anyone written poetry about Auriculas….I have not seen it, hence I felt inspired to write a verse.
Catch your breath colour
Can it be real?
Tiny perfect picture
Can it be real?
Audacious, subtle, side by side.
Elusive scent, forms the memory first.

I’ll keep on with the day job.

It is like a birthday tea in the poly tunnel just now and you don’t know here to look first, a dizzying array, the dazzle of the alpine varieties and the solid globs of the doubles .
And then beyond the colour you begin to see the symmetry and the subtle beauty of the farina and the paler washed colours.

Do I have a favourites, of course I do, and they change from year to year.
That is partly because different varieties perform well each year…and surprisingly unpredictable.
So this year’s favourites:

Soft Blues: Wedgewood, Walton and Bradmore Bluebells
Bradmore Bluebell
Bold and Red: Favourite and Trudy and Rene…….All border auriculas, strong and beautiful.
Trudy
Fragrant beauties: The nicest are Queen Alexander and Old Clove Red.
Old Clove Red
Breath-taking Greens: Great Parrot. and the fancy Salad
Salad

Beautiful doubles: Golden Chatreuse, Nymph and the new Shaun
Golden Chatreuse
The show stealers: Sirius, Rodeo and Gee Cross
Gee Cross
And best of all …when you have left several auriculas in the room overnight, the scent…cloves, rose, capture it and remember.

Margaret

2 comments:

  1. I didnt realise auriculas were scented. I have some seedlings that were given to me they are about a year old now and I am hoping they will flower soon so I can see what colour they are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some of them, the scent is very subtle, but once inside a room it becomes more noticeable.
      We had the auricula theater set up inside the wing of the shed and each morning when we opened the door, the scent was just lovely. Best of luck with your seedlings, I hope they are all wee stunners. Cat

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment - it is always great to hear about other peoples gardens and lives. If you ever drop by the nursery, make sure you say hello. (Margaret & Donald)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...